Another way of taking a vacation from the Presidential campaigns which are reaching a crescendo is watching a comedy show with lots of “Zingers” or one-line jokes. The latest one I saw was last night when Barack Obama and Mitt Romney put down their swords during a campaign ceasefire that took place last night in New York at the 67th annual Alfred. E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner which is a Charity event which benefits healthcare causes in New York and beyond. The picture on the left shows President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, laughing with Cardinal Timothy Dolan during the Archdiocese of New York’s , Thursday, Oct. 18, 2012, at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York. This white-tie event has become a kind of tradition in American Presidential campaigns to interrupt the ruthless attacks in negative ads which are more and more prevalent on Americans’ TV screens.
Here are some of the one-liners that made a lot of us laugh. Let’s see if you “get” them:
- Romney: I was hoping that President Obama would bring Joe Biden along, because he’ll laugh at anything.
- Romney: We were chatting pleasantly this evening as if Tuesday didn’t happen.
- Romney: Usually when I get invited to gatherings like this, it’s just to be the designated driver.
- Romney: We’re down to the final months of the president’s term.
- Romney: I have my beautiful wife Ann, he has Bill Clinton.
- Romney, referring to St. Peter, says skeptics will say “if you’ve got a Church, you didn’t build that.”
- Romney says Obama’s new campaign slogan is “you’re better off than you were four weeks ago.”
- Romney: The president’s remarks tonight are brought to you by the letter O and the number 16 trillion.
- Romney says headlines will say “polls show Obama leading from behind.
And here are some one-liners from President Obama:
- Obama tells attendees to sit down or Clint Eastwood will start yelling at their empty chairs.
- Obama: I did better in the second debate because I was well rested from the nap I had during the first debate.
- Obama to Chris Matthews: “Four years ago I gave him a thrill up his leg. This time around I gave him a stroke.”
- Obama: I did some shopping IN Midtown Manhattan today; Romney went shopping FOR stores in Midtown.
- Obama touts unemployment rate: “I don’t have a joke here.”
- Obama talks about Honey Boo Boo endorsement.
- Obama on house that Ruth built: He didn’t build that.
- Obama: Mitt is his middle name. I wish I could use my middle name.
- Obama talks about third debate on foreign policy: Spoiler alert: We got bin Laden.
- Obama: For our final debate we’re going to go back to the strategy of 1st debate. I’m just kidding, trying to get Axelrod to sweat.
Here’s a quick pick of the best of the “good-natured knocks” and “zingers”:
PS: Wise cracks are clever jokes which criticize people underhandedly, One-liners are jokes which are only one sentence long, Jabs are stinging remarks about someone else, Zingers are witty and caustic criticisms of someone and good-nature knocks are “mild” criticisms which are meant to “tease” someone else but that are not meant to hurt…even if they do!